Brioche time. Brioche is basically super rich bread with eggs and butter. Sourdough brioches are pretty to easy to make but they do require time and patience. This recipe is not too sweet as it uses honey. You can use 35 grammes of sugar instead. The inspiration for the recipe is from here and here.
I haven’t made brioche since last year. Last year I used orange sugar which I think was a nice touch and really the only redeeming feature of the brioches that I made. Looking back on the post there has definitely been great strides and progress made in 1 year.
This year brioches are definitely looking a lot better and are much fluffier and just much more brioche-y.
This recipe’s use of butter is definitely reminiscent of the chef Gary Rhodes whose oft-repeated phrase is add another spoon of butter.
Eggwash notes: I used the egg white and milk for convenience since the recipe calls for one yolk. But if you want a different effect on the brioche you can go to epicurious or cooksinfo website that really get into the ins and out of all the different types of eggwash.
- 230g bread flour
- 270g all purpose flour
- 50g honey
- 10g salt
- 3 + 1yolk eggs
- 250g starter
- 300g room temperature butter
- 200g milk
- 1/2 zest of lemon
- Cut the butter in small 1cm pieces and leave out to soften
- Mix all ingredient in a bowl except the butter – milk + lemon zest +honey+ eggs+ flour + starter. Keep the egg white from the 4th egg as you will use it later for the egg wash
- Mix well, let it rest for 15min and mix well again.
- +butter. Mix gently until all the butter is incorporated. You should massage it in but I ended up mixing it in the kitchen aid and it seem to be alright. The dough should have a nice shine to it.
- Put in a covered container and leave in the fridge to rise for 24 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface shape the dough and in your baking tins.
- Final rise should be at room temperature for 3 hours.
- preheat the oven at 215Cº.
- prepare the egg wash 3 tablespoons of milk + egg white and mix vigorously.
- gently brush the egg wash on the brioche dough.
- Bake for 25min for medium shape brioche, until the top are nice and golden brown.