Exploring the wonderful world of mincemeat. Thinking of creating an Italian mincemeat with amaretto and some similar flavours to panettones. I have called this the American version because it has whisky, fresh cranberries and pecans and maple syrup.
Meanwhile, I have called this the American version because it has whisky, fresh cranberries and pecans and maple syrup.
- 30g raisin
- 225g sultanas
- 215 currants
- 170g dates, finely chopped
- 140g fresh cranberry, finely chopped
- 20g stem ginger
- 165g pecans, finely chopped
- 175g candied peels, finely chopped
- 90g demerara sugar
- 70g maple syrup
- 5 apple, peeled finely chopped
- 50g butter
- 200g suet
- 2 oranges zest
- 2 lemons zest
- 1 grapefruit zest
- 2 mandarins zest
- In a large bowl mix well all the ingredient except the brandy together.
- Leave the mixture to settle in covered and in a cool place for about 12 hours.
- Heat the oven to 200ºC and put in your mincemeat mixture in an oven proof pan and leave in the oven 3.5 hours. It really doesn’t look pretty when it comes out but it does taste and smell delicious I promise.
- Leave to cool mixing it once in a while.
- Once cool add the brandy and mix it well.
- Sterilize some jars by washing them thoroughly and putting them in the oven at 180ºC for at least 5 min.
- Put your mincemeat in the sterilised jars. Leave in a dark cool cupboard until you need it.