slight break from baking bread but not form baking. There is nothing better than miso soup during the autumn. The only problem is you get stuck with a big tube of miso. Well what else is great during the autumn, I ask my self? Apple pie! I also found this great recipe for miso apple pie here.
Pastry making is my nemesis. Always promise myself never again but for this pastry pie was loreal (worth it). The apple vinegars is quite a nice touch. I also added a thimble of rose water. Other spices that could be used which i could imagine would be quite nice are anise, almonds,clove and coriander seeds.
I made lattice for the first time. Like a silly goose instead of just rolling a flat rectangularish and cutting stripes, I rolled individual tube stripes and flattened it. Not the end of the world but I just took longer and was a wee bit more finicky.
Double Pie Crust (for 11″ pie dish.)
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- or 3 cups of flour and 1/4 almond and hazelnut mix (this might have been too much, it makes the dough much harder to work with)
- 340 grams butter, cubed into 1 cm pieces, cold (prepare beforehand)
- 5 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- or 1 tbsp honey rum and 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg + splash water for egg wash
- cut the butter in small pieces and store in the freezer.
- Water + cider vinegar should also be poured together and stored in the freezer. Pie crust is all about keeping everything as cool as possible.
- in a bowl sugar+flour+ salt
- +butter from the freezer and quickly with a pastry cutter, fork, or fingers crumble the butter, it doesn’t have to be completely perfect.
- half the dough into 2 balls and place it in the fridge for at least an hour.
And start on the filling and preheat the oven to 180C.
Miso Apple Filling ingredients
- 5-6 large apples (about 3 lb), peeled and cut into slices.
- 30 grams all purpose flour
- zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- I used caraway seeds
- ¼ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp white miso
- In a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, cook miso until it begins to brown and a nutty aroma. + butter and mix to combine. Add apples and cook for a minute. +brown sugar + spices + salt + flour, and mix to combine, until apples are coated.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll it into a 12” circle and gently place over a pie pan (very carefully if you have used the crushed nuts). Place in fridge.
- Roll out the other piece into a 12” circle and place it into the fridge as well
- Fill the pice case with the apple filling. Form a lattice top.
- In fridge for 15 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg + splash of milk and sprinkle the pie crust with damara sugar.
Bake for an hour or until golden brown and the apple filling is bubbling up. Now for the really hard part let it cool on that window sill before eating.