Dear readers, my new lover is a book called Tartine No. 3. It is amazing! Anyways I am back on sourdough.
I bought turmeric for one dish ages ago and they only had a massive bag on sale and I bought it. There is really only so many dishes you can put turmeric in. It’s the fish sauce of the spice world I tell you.
Anyways which brings me to my mind point: TURMERIC BREAD! well added onion so really it feels like the absolute onion bahjis of bread. I looked around the internet, thinking I would not find a thing. I was wrong the internet is a wondrous place. So there is this amazing red lentil turmeric bread, and this turmeric bread or this onion quinoa turmeric sourdough. You wonderful internet people.
So after bit of internet research and really experimentation made my own recipe. I am not going to lie it looked alarmingly yellow as originally I put in 2 tablespoon. The bread tasted okay in the end, but the turmeric was a bit too present. And although the taste of turmeric really does mellowed much more than I expected once cooked, I reduced to one tbsp in the recipe.
- 1 onion
- 185 grams starter
- 150 grams white bread flour
- 200 grams whole wheat bread flour
- 35 grams rye flour
- 225 grams water
- 10 grams salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- First thing first, caramelise the onion. Cut the onion into thin slices. Cooke the onion on medium low heat in skillet or cast iron pan with some olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper. Caramelising onions takes ages but not a lot of attention, I threw them on during dinner. It should take about 40 min gently moving them around every once in a while to prevent the onion from burning.
- Once the onions are caramelised let them cool. Meanwhile in a bowl add the starter +flours + water and mix.
- Once cooled add the onion + turmeric + salt and mix.
- To avoid the the dough sticking to your hands just make sure your hands are wet.
- Leave to proof for 5 hours at room temperature (16ºC). Or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 215ºC with a dutch oven inside.
- Once the oven and the dutch oven are heated to 215ºC cook your bread for 40min or until the internal temperature is 198ºC.
- Leave to cool on wire rack for an hour.